Guide to the Daniel Fast
Saturday, November 26th - Friday, December 16th (21 days)
Thank you for your willingness and commitment to join Life Church for our 21 day fast! Whenever a fast is recorded in Scripture, it is followed by a season of growth and blessing. You will discover over the next few weeks that your commitment to fast will usher in some of the greatest opportunities to obtain the blessings of God. We look forward to all of the great things God is going to do in our church and in your personal life.
How To Prepare For the Fast
Many people experience a physical detox during the first few days of the fast including headaches, fatigue, leg cramps and other typical symptoms. You can reduce these effects by drinking at least 1/2 gallon of filtered water each day before, during and after the fasting period. Anytime you have concern about symptoms you may experience, be sure to contact your health professional. Fasting should never be harmful to the body. If you have special dietary needs, you should consult your health professional before you start this fast. You can then modify the fast to meet your specific health needs.
Foods to Include During the Fast
All Fruits (can include fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned fruit)
Apples, Apricots, Avocados, Bananas, Blackberries, Blueberries, Boysenberries, Cantaloupe, Cherries, Coconuts, Cranberries, Dates, Figs, Grapefruit, Grapes, Grenadine, Guava, Honeydew Melon, Kiwi, Lemons, Limes, Mangoes, Melons, Mulberry, Nectarines, Olives, Oranges, Papayas, Peaches, Pears, Pineapples, Plums, Prunes, Raisins, Raspberries, Strawberries, Tangelos, Tangerines, Watermelon, etc.
Vegetables (can include fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned vegetables)
Artichokes, Asparagus, Beets, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Chili Peppers, Collard greens, Corn, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Garlic, Ginger Root, Kale, Leeks, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Mustard Greens, Okra, Onions, Parsley, Potatoes, Radishes, Rutabagas, Scallions, Spinach, Sprouts, Squashes, Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes, Turnips, Watercress, Yams, Zucchini, etc.
All Whole Grains
Whole wheat, brown rice, millet, quinoa, oats, barley, grits, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat tortillas, rice cakes and popcorn
All Nuts and Seeds
Sunflower seeds, cashews, peanuts, sesame. Also, nut butters including peanut butter
All Legumes (can be canned or dried)
Dried beans, pinto beans, split peas, lentils, black eyed peas, kidney beans, black beans, cannellini beans, white beans
Spring water, distilled water, or filtered water
Foods to Avoid on the Daniel Fast
- All meat and animal products including but not limited to beef, lamb, pork, poultry, and fish
- All dairy products including but not limited to milk, cheese, cream, butter, and eggs
- All sweeteners including but not limited to sugar, raw sugar, honey, syrups, molasses, and cane juice
- All leavened bread including Ezekiel Bread (it contains yeast and honey) and baked goods
- All refined and processed food products including but not limited to artificial flavorings, food additives, chemicals, white rice, white flour, and foods that contain artificial preservatives
- All deep fried foods including but not limited to potato chips, French fries, corn chips
- All solid fats including shortening, margarine, lard and foods high in fat